At the law offices of Tad Nelson & Associates, we focus on two primary areas of family law: divorce and domestic violence. If you are looking for a legal professional that you can count on to provide you with the level of competent, success-driven representation that you are looking for, call us today to schedule your initial consultation.
Our Practice Areas
Please contact our law firm immediately if you have a legal issue that falls into one of the following categories:
- Divorce. Going through a divorce is very difficult, and couples who are divorcing will need to come to a decision about a number of different issues before their divorce can be finalized. These issues include how property will be divided, which party will maintain custody of a child, who will pay child support, whether or not alimony will be part of a divorce settlement, and more. Within the category of divorce, our attorneys are especially experienced in representing clients involved in the following types of divorce–
- Contested and uncontested divorce. A divorce is contested when the separating couple cannot reach a determination about how the issues in divorce (listed above) should be resolved. Contested divorces are much more complex, and may require litigation to reach a judgement. Uncontested divorces, on the other hand, are much more straightforward, and can typically be resolved faster and in a less expensive manner. However, working with an attorney to review all documents and agreements in an uncontested divorce is still important in order to protect your best interests.
- Mediation and collaborative divorce. Two different, yet equally effective ways, in which many couples in Galveston reach a divorce settlement are via mediation and collaborative divorce. Mediation refers to a situation in which a neutral, third-party mediator facilitates productive conversation between a couple about how issues in a divorce should be resolved. Collaboration is similar, although in a collaborative divorce both parties agree to civility upfront and are represented by lawyers during the process.
- High net worth divorce. High net worth individuals and couples may have a more difficult type resolving issues in a divorce, as high net worth divorce cases tend to be more complex since there are more assets up for division. Our attorneys are experienced in uncovering hidden assets, helping couples understand the state’s property division laws, and proving the validity of pre- or post-nuptial agreements.
- Temporary orders. Finally, our attorneys can help you to secure a temporary order that will go into effect before your divorce is finalized, providing you with support you need as your divorce is pending.
- Domestic violence. Domestic violence is a very serious occurrence, and person who is committing domestic violence may face criminal and civil consequences. If you are a victim of domestic violence, our law firm can help you to understand what to do, including how to secure a domestic violence protective order, temporary orders, and how to initiate the process of filing for divorce.
Contact Our Galveston Divorce and Domestic Violence Attorney Today
If you have questions about any of the practice areas listed above, our team wants to help you. Please feel free to reach out to us today to schedule an initial case consultation. You can reach us by email or phone. Consultations are offered free of charge.