Sorting Out Separate and Community Property in a Galveston Divorce Case

By | Divorce

For most Galveston couples seeking a divorce, the main contested issue is division of property. Texas law presumes that any property acquired by either spouse during the marriage (except as a gift) is “community property.” Conversely, any property acquired by either spouse individually prior to marriage is classified as that spouse’s “separate property.”

But what about property that a spouse holds through a separate business entity, such as a corporation or limited liability company. In those situations, the property itself belongs to the entity, and is not considered either community or separate property. However, any subsequent distributions of property or income from the entity to the spouse may still be considered community property.

Wife’s Attempt to Transfer Property from LLC to Herself Backfires

Here is an illustration taken from a recent Texas divorce case. The couple in this case sought a divorce following a brief marriage. Before the marriage, the wife acquired approximately 2 acres of real property, which she used to build and operate (ironically enough) a wedding and planning center. The husband contributed a good deal of his own money to help the wife build-out the property.

In July 2014, about two months before the couple’s marriage, the wife conveyed the land and its improvements to a limited liability company (the LLC). The husband filed for divorce in 2016. After the divorce filing–and after she separately filed for bankruptcy–the wife transferred the property from the LLC to her. She then attempted to claim the property was part of her “homestead” and thus exempt from the bankruptcy proceeding.

Earlier this year, the Texas court overseeing the divorce held the 2-acre property was properly classified as “community property.” The Court of Appeals agreed with the trial judge. As the appeals court explained, in addition to the husband’s “significant loans and contributions toward capital and noncapital improvements” on the property, the wife’s attempt to shift the property in-and-out of the LLC worked to her detriment. Although the land was unquestionably her separate property at the outset–as she purchased it before marriage–once she placed it in the LLC, it ceased to be either separate or community property.

But by transferring the property back from the LLC to herself, that constituted a “distribution” from the limited liability company. And when, as here, such distributions are made during the marriage, it must be considered community property under Texas law. So the trial court was correct to treat the property as part of the couple’s community estate.

Speak with a Galveston Divorce Lawyer Today

There are many cases where spouses think they can cleverly work around Texas community property laws by moving assets around. But the law frequently anticipates such moves. This is why you need to work with an experienced Galveston divorce lawyer who can assist you in doing things the right way. Contact the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates if you are thinking about divorce–or have already been served with papers–and would like to speak with a member of our team about what steps to take next. Call us today at (281) 843-9776. 

Divorce, Informal Marriage, and the Legal Status of Same-Sex Couples Under Texas Law

By | Divorce

Texas is one of a minority of states that continues to recognize common-law marriage. The Texas Family Code actually refers to these unions as informal marriages. These are marriages that enjoy legal recognition in Texas despite the fact the couple never obtained a marriage license. Under the Family Code, there are two ways to establish the existence of an informal marriage:

  • The couple signed a written “declaration of their marriage”; or
  • The couple–still defined in the statute as a “man and woman”–agreed to be married and, pursuant to that agreement, lived together and “represented to others that they were married.”

If an informal marriage exists, it still must be dissolved via divorce. This is important because divorce is necessary to resolve certain issues like property division, child custody, and spousal support. Of course, a couple that merely lived together–or even had children together–may not be legally married if they do not otherwise meet the requirements for informal marriage described above.

Texas Courts Remain Unclear on “Retroactive” Application of 2015 Supreme Court Ruling

Texas laws regarding informal marriage and divorce present unique challenges to same-sex couples in the Galveston area who may have been living together prior to the U.S. Supreme Court’s June 2015 decision in Obergefell v. Hodges. In that case, the nation’s highest court held the federal constitution prohibited states from denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The Court further held that “same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry in all States.” In other words, same-sex marriages performed outside of Texas must be recognized by this state. This also means that same-sex couples living in Galveston may file for divorce under Texas law.

But as a recent decision by a Texas appeals court illustrates, the Obergefell decision did not resolve all outstanding legal questions regarding same-sex couples, marriage, and divorce. The Fifth District Court of Appeals in Dallas was asked to grant relief to a man who contesting a divorce proceeding on the grounds he was never legally married to his same-sex partner. Before the trial court, the partner alleged he was in an informal marriage with the petitioner. The petitioner, however, said the relationship ended prior to June 2015–i.e., before the Supreme Court’s ruling in Obergefell–and that decision should not be “applied retroactively with respect to informal marriages.”

The trial court denied the petitioner’s motion to dismiss on these grounds. The Court of Appeals subsequently denied the request for extraordinary relief–known as a writ of mandamus–holding there was no “abuse of discretion” by the trial judge. As the Fifth District noted, “The legal question of whether Obergefell is retroactive has not been determined by the Supreme Court of Texas or by the U.S. Supreme Court.” The trial court therefore did not fail to correctly apply the law, as the law remains unsettled on this point. And in any case, the question of whether or not a couple was informally married is one of fact that must be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Get Advice from a Galveston Divorce Attorney

If you are in the process of ending a same-sex relationship, it is a good idea to consult with a qualified Galveston divorce attorney to learn more about how the law may apply to your situation. Contact the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates to speak with a member of our team today. Call (281) 843-9776. 


Should I File for Fault-Based or No-Fault Divorce?

By | Adultry, Divorce

For Galveston-area couples looking to get a divorce, it is not necessary to assign legal fault to either spouse. Texas law authorizes a judge to grant a divorce on the grounds of “insupportability,” which is just another way of saying no-fault divorce. However, a spouse may still seek divorce based on the other spouse’s fault, which includes grounds such as adultery.

Galveston Court Rejects Wife’s Adultery Allegations, Grants Divorce Based on “Insupportability”

However, a judge can still decide to award a no-fault divorce if the accusing spouse fails to support an adultery claim. This subject actually came up in a recent Galveston divorce case. The parties married in October 2011. They separated four years later. The wife sued the husband for divorce, on both the grounds of insupportability and adultery. In support of the latter, the wife testified that her husband made telephone calls and sent “love notes” and text messages to another woman “with whom [he] claimed to be in love.” The wife introduced evidence in the form of “photos of messages,” but otherwise offered no proof that her husband ever engaged in extramarital sexual relations with this other woman.

The husband denied committing adultery. He specifically testified that he never engaged in a “physical relationship” with the woman identified by the wife. The trial judge ultimately decided to grant the wife a divorce on no-fault grounds.

The wife appealed, arguing she was entitled to a fault-based divorce on the grounds of adultery. The Texas 14th District Court of Appeals affirmed the trial court. It noted the trial judge has the “discretion to choose between insupportability and fault-based reasons when deciding whether, and on which grounds, to grant a divorce.” And in this case, the judge did not abuse that discretion, given that the wife did not actually prove adultery.

Indeed, from a legal standpoint, adultery requires more than “suggestion and innuendo,” the Court of Appeals observed. The wife need not personally witness her husband having sex with another person. But there must still be some “direct or circumstantial evidence” to prove there was sexual intercourse–not simply an exchange of messages professing love. Furthermore, even if the wife had presented such evidence, the trial court could still have chosen to grant divorce solely on “insupportability” grounds.

Our Houston Divorce Lawyers Can Help You

The inherent difficulty of proving adultery–not to mention the emotional toll it can take on the parties and their families–often leads jilted spouses to seek a no-fault divorce instead. That’s not to say there aren’t good reasons to seek a fault-based divorce. If proven, adultery can affect how a Galveston judge divides the couple’s marital property or determines spousal maintenance. And there may be personal or cultural reasons for wanting to prove a spouse’s infidelity–in the case discussed above, the wife alleged she could not obtain a “religious divorce” unless her husband cheated on her.

Whatever your situation, before you head into court you should always consult with a qualified League City divorce attorney who can help you decide whether it is better to seek a fault-based or no-fault divorce. Contact the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates at (281) 843-9776 if you need to speak with an attorney right away.


How Do I File for Divorce If My Spouse Lives Outside the U.S.?

By | Divorce

Divorce is not a private matter. It is a type of litigation. This means one spouse must sue the other to obtain a divorce, even if the parties amicably agree to do so.

And as with any lawsuit, the spouse filing for divorce must legally serve the other spouse. This usually is not too difficult to accomplish if both spouses live in the same area. But what about a situation where, say, you live in Galveston and your estranged spouse has moved to a foreign country following your separation? You can still file for divorce here in Galveston, but how do you serve your spouse abroad, particularly if you don’t know his or her exact address?

What Is “Citation by Publication,” and How Does It Apply to Divorce Cases?

The short answer is that you publish a notice in the newspaper. This is known in Texas law as “citation by publication.” Basically, you file an affidavit with the court explaining that you conducted a diligent search to find your spouse and failed. You may need a court order before actually proceeding with citation by publication.

If the other spouse responds to the notice–or you subsequently locate and serve them the divorce lawsuit–then the case proceeds like any other. But if the other spouse fails to respond, Texas civil court rules require the court to “appoint an attorney to defend the suit” on their behalf. This is known as an “attorney ad litem.” The attorney ad litem will then represent your spouse in the divorce case as if they had been hired by them directly.

Note that the appointment of an attorney is mandatory, not optional. A Texas appeals court recently affirmed that point in a case, Jackson v. Jackson involving a scenario like the one hinted at above. Here, a husband and wife married while living in the Asian country of Kyrgyzstan. Shortly after the birth of the couple’s son, the husband relocated to the U.S. and has not seen his wife or child since.

Three years later, the husband filed for divorce in a Texas court. He attempted to serve the lawsuit on his wife at her last-known address in Kyrgyzstan. When he did not receive return of service–an acknowledgment that she received the lawsuit–he filed an affidavit for citation by publication. However, when the wife never responded to the notice, the Texas court granted the husband a default judgment.

The wife appeared in court afterwards and moved for a new trial on the grounds the judge failed to appoint an attorney ad litem as required by the Texas civil rules. The judge denied this motion, but the Court of Appeals reversed, noting the trial court “failed to comply with its mandatory duty to appoint an attorney ad litem.” The wife was therefore entitled to a new trial.

Let Our Houston Divorce Lawyers Help You

Like any legal process, divorce requires you to complete certain tasks in a particular order. An experienced Galveston divorce attorney can make sure you do not make any critical mistakes along the way. If you need help with any divorce-related legal matter, contact the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates in Galveston and League City today by calling (281) 843-9776.

What Happens if a Judge Makes a Mistake in My Divorce Case?

By | Divorce

Nobody is perfect. This applies to judges as much as anyone else. Sometimes judges issue a factually incorrect judgment. For example, say you and your spouse are getting a divorce. You manage to reach a settlement regarding the division of your property and present it to a judge for approval. The judge then approves the divorce, but the terms contained in the final decree do not match the terms of your settlement. Can you ask the judge–or even an appeals court–to correct that mistake?

Wife Waited Too Long to Assert Her Rights Under Settlement

The short answer to this question is “yes,” but you need to act quickly. Under Texas court rules, a trial court has the power to “modify, correct, or reform” its own judgment within 30 days after signing said judgment. Once this 30-day period expires, however, the court loses jurisdiction over the divorce–and it cannot be restored, even if both parties agree there was a problem. Furthermore, the 30-day rule applies even in cases where it was clearly the judge, not the parties themselves, that made the original mistake.

A recent Galveston divorce case illustrates how this rule works in practice. In this case, a wife sued a husband for divorce. They reached a mediated settlement agreement (MSA) regarding the division of their property. Among other terms, the MSA said the husband would pay the wife $750 per month for 12 months, as well as give her $201,000 from his 401(k) retirement account.

A few weeks later, the wife presented the MSA to the divorce court for approval. The husband chose not to participate in the hearing. The judge ultimately granted the divorce–but in the final decree, she did not include the 401(k) distribution to the wife, and she only required the husband to make a single $750 payment to the wife. Furthermore, the decree clearly stated that it overruled the MSA in the event of a conflict.

The court entered the decree on November 23, 2015. The following April, the wife sought to modify the judgment to correctly reflect the terms of the MSA. The judge granted this motion and modified the judgment with respect to the cash payments and the 401(k). The husband objected to this, noting that the court “lost jurisdiction” once 30 days elapsed following the entry of the final decree.

The Texas 14th District Court of Appeals agreed with the husband. It held the trial court’s modified order was void as a matter of law. While trial courts have the authority to “correct a clerical error in the record of a judgment” at any time, that does not apply to situations, like this one, where the judge “renders judgment incorrectly” and the final order “precisely reflects the incorrect rendition.” In other words, once the judge signed a decree that she incorrectly believe reflected the MSA, it was up to the wife to challenge that mistake within 30 days. Since she waited past that point, she was now out of luck.

Let a Galveston Divorce Attorney Help You

The potential for critical legal mistakes like the one in the case above emphasizes the importance of working with an experienced Galveston divorce lawyer. Contact the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates today if you live in the Galveston area and need legal assistance with any divorce-related matter or call (281) 843-9776.

When Can a Texas Court Modify a Child Custody Order?

By | Divorce

When it comes to child custody disputes in Galveston, divorce is not always the last word on the matter. Texas courts have the authority to modify orders regarding “conservatorship or possession and access” with respect to a minor at any time post-divorce for good cause. Specifically, the parent proposing the modification must demonstrate there has been a “material change” in circumstances since the divorce and modifying the parent-child relationship now “would be in the best interest of the child.”

There is no fixed guidelines regarding what constitutes a “material change.” It may include the remarriage of a parent, the “poisoning of a child’s mind” by one parent against the other, a change in the child’s living situation, or a change in the parent’s ability to properly care for the child. In addition, if the parent with primary custody–the “managing conservator” in legal terms–attempts to unduly restrict the other parent’s access in accordance with the original divorce decree, that may also constitute a material change in circumstances.

Court Shifts Custody to Father Due to Mother’s Post-Divorce Actions

Here is a practical illustration of how Texas courts apply these general principles. This is taken from a recent Texas appeals court decision where a father successfully sought a modification of a divorce decree. Previously, the court granted the mother the “exclusive right” to determine the primary residence of the couple’s child. But a year later, the court found there was a material change in circumstances that justified transferring that exclusive right to the father.

Here is what happened. At the time of the divorce, the mother and child lived in the formal marital home. The wife’s job required her to work during the day, so the child was placed in daycare. The father was also granted a “few hours in the evening” with the child each night.

Several months later, the mother’s job moved her to an evening shift. The child still spent the days in daycare, but now the child stayed with the father on those nights the mother worked. This arrangement changed yet again when the mother sold her house to the father and moved in with her own mother, the child’s maternal grandmother. When the mother subsequently returned to the day shift at her job, the grandmother babysat the child during the day.

The father objected to the grandmother’s role caring for his child. Before the court, the father introduced evidence of the grandmother’s “history of drug abuse” and her use of profanity in the child’s presence. The father also objected to the mother imposing additional restrictions on his access to the child after she moved in with her mother. For example, the mother refused the father access during court-ordered visitation hours if he was “between 1 to 17 minutes late.”

The trial court found this evidence sufficient to modify child custody in favor of the father. The Court of Appeals affirmed the trial judge, noting there had been several material changes in the child’s circumstances, including moving in with the grandmother despite her drug history, the sale of the house, and the mother’s interference “with father’s right to spend time and bond” with the child.

Get Help from a Galveston Divorce Attorney Today

Just because one parent is designated as a child’s managing conservator in a divorce, that does not give said parent license to do whatever they wish. Any material change in the parent or child’s situation may justify a court revisiting and modifying the original custody order. If you are a parent on either side of such a dispute and need assistance from a qualified Galveston divorce lawyer, contact the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates or call (281) 843-9776 today.

Is a Prenuptial Agreement Enforceable If It Has a Forfeiture Clause?

By | Divorce

Many Galveston couples choose to sign prenuptial agreements in order to minimize potential arguments over property in the event of divorce. Keep in mind, a prenuptial agreement is a legally binding contract. Texas law recognizes such agreements, and courts will not invalidate them except under narrow circumstances spelled out in state law.

TX Supreme Court Rules Wife’s “Rescission” Attempt Triggered $5M Penalty

The mere fact that an agreement may seem “unfair” to one side is not enough to invalidate it. For example, the Texas Supreme Court recently upheld a clause in a prenuptial agreement that nullified a payment to one spouse because she violated a “no-contest” clause that only applied to her. And we’re not talking about an insignificant amount of money either–the wife’s actions cost her $5 million.

The couple in this case married 13 years ago. Just before the marriage, they signed a prenuptial agreement. Basically, in the event of divorce the husband agreed to pay the wife $5 million as a “lump-sum” settlement. But the agreement also provided that if the wife “seeks to invalidate some of all of this agreement, or seeks to recover property in a manner at variance with this agreement,” she would forfeit the $5 million.

The husband filed for divorce six years after the marriage. The wife subsequently filed a counterclaim against the husband, alleging he failed to comply with other provisions of the prenuptial agreement. In a subsequent filing, the wife alleged the agreement itself “was marred with fraud” and asked the court for “rescission” of the entire contract.

After extensive litigation, a trial court judge held the wife’s actions constituted an effort “to invalidate all or a part of” the prenuptial agreement. She therefore forfeited the $5 million lump-sum payment. Both the intermediate court of appeals and the Texas Supreme Court affirmed this decision.

As the Supreme Court explained, “By seeking to rescind the Agreement, [the wife] sought what could have been a greater distribution of the marital estate under the Texas Family Code and related Texas common law than she would have received had the Agreement remained in place.”

The wife argued she should not be punished for seeking rescission because she believed “in good faith” that her husband “had already breached the agreement.” But the Supreme Court said it would not create what it considered a new exception to Texas law governing prenuptial agreements. The Court noted such an exception would “run afoul of our longstanding preference to protect the freedom of contract by enforcing contracts as written.” And in any case, Texas law “disfavors equitable exceptions to the enforcement of contracts as written.”

A Galveston Divorce Lawyer Can Help You

The lesson here is you should never assume a court will invalidate a prenuptial agreement just because you decide, in the midst of a contested divorce, that the terms are unfair or unreasonable. And if you have reason to believe your estranged spouse is not living up to his or her end of an agreement, you should speak with a qualified Galveston divorce attorney as soon as possible. Contact the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates at (281) 843-9776 today if you need advice or assistance on any divorce-related matter.


Divided Texas Supreme Court Rules Wife Entitled to Entire Marital Home Following Husband’s Child Abuse

By | Divorce

Back in February, we discussed a pending Texas Supreme Court case involving the division of community property in a case where the husband committed multiple acts of sexual abuse against the wife’s daughters. A lower court held that despite the husband’s actions–for which he is currently serving a 60-year prison term–it would not be “just and right” under Texas divorce law to award the wife 100 percent of the marital home. Instead, the Court awarded the husband a 20 percent interest in the property.

Egregious Abuse or Insufficient Evidence of Husband’s Contribution?

By a vote of 5-4, the Supreme Court reversed the lower court. The five-justice majority could not agree on the reasoning for this decision, however, leaving the Court without a single controlling opinion. Effectively, this means the wife in this case will likely get 100 percent of the home, but it is unclear what precedent this sets for future cases involving similar facts.

A three-justice plurality led by Chief Justice Nathan L. Hecht concluded that it would not be “just and right” to allow a spouse to keep part of a family home when he was previously “convicted of using the home to sexually abuse his stepdaughter.” The Chief Justice was careful to note that acts of “family violence,” in and of themselves, do not justify depriving a spouse of “an interest in all or even a specific part of the community estate.” And the Supreme Court has made it clear in prior cases that the trial courts should not use the division of community property to “punish” one spouse for their fault in breaking up the marriage. But the Chief Justice said the “egregious” nature of this husband’s conduct in this case–i.e., that he sexually abused his stepdaughters for many years, he did so in the family home, and he was later convicted of criminal charges related to the abuse–all compelled reversing the 20 percent award.

Justice John P. Devine, writing for himself and one other justice, agreed with the Chief Justice’s conclusion but not his reasons. Instead, Justice Devine held that there was insufficient evidence in the record to support the husband’s claim he ever had any community property interest in the house to begin with. Originally, the couple lived in a home solely owned by the wife. After a fire destroyed that home, the wife used her insurance proceeds to purchase the present house. Justice Devine said it was unclear whether any portion of this insurance money was “burdened by the community,” or whether the husband added any “additional value” to the property.

Justice Jeff Boyd, writing for the four dissenting justices, argued the plurality was wrong because it substituted its own judgment of what is “just and right” for that of the lower court. And Justice Devine’s opinion was off-base because the wife never previously challenged the sufficiency of the evidence supporting the community property determination.

Speak with a Galveston Divorce Attorney Today

The Court’s narrow, divided opinion indicates the difficulty of overturning trial court rulings with respect to divorce. Indeed, the Chief Justice’s plurality went to great lengths to emphasize the exceptional nature of the husband’s history of criminal sexual abuse to justify its decision to overturn the lower court’s ruling.

Most divorce cases will not involve horrendous acts of child abuse. But even in more conventional divorces the same “just and right” standard applies to the division of community property. If you need help from a Galveston divorce lawyer in fighting for what is just and right in your case, contact the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates today at (281) 843-9776.

What to Do when Your Ex-Spouse Interferes with Visitation

By | Divorce

Divorce is often an emotionally-draining experience, so it is normal to breathe a sigh of relief when you reach the end. You might expect your post-divorce life to be easy in comparison to your marriage and your divorce.

Unfortunately, problems often crop up between ex-spouses, even after a judge has signed a divorce decree. Your ex-spouse might interfere with your visitation rights. Helpfully, Texas law provides parents with the ability to compel compliance with the visitation order, but you should meet with an experienced Galveston, Texas divorce attorney as soon as possible.

Documenting the Interference

First, you should fully document the reasons why visitation has fallen through. Your ex-spouse might have plenty of excuses, none of which sound believable—your child is sick, an emergency has arisen, etc. Write down every date in which visitation was cancelled and document the reason given. If you were sent emails or voicemails, then preserve those, since they are helpful evidence.

You also should show up at the drop-off point, which might be a point halfway between where you and your ex live. Even if you know your ex is not bringing your child, you should still show up. Fully document that you were there at the time and place and that no surrender of your child took place.

Filing for Contempt of Court

Second, you should meet with a Galveston child custody attorney to discuss filing for contempt. Contempt of court means that a person subject to a judge’s order is disobeying it, and judges have inherent authority to compel compliance. When an ex-spouse interferes with visitation, they flout two orders:

  • To surrender your child at a certain date and time
  • To give you possession of the child for the amount of time spelled out in the custody order

To bring your ex into compliance, a judge might:

  • Fine your ex until he or she agrees to start following the visitation schedule
  • Send your ex to jail until he or she agrees to abide by the visitation schedule
  • Award you attorneys’ fees
  • Some combination of the above

Many ex-spouses are shocked to find themselves in jail for a few days for not letting you see your children. Nevertheless, judges do take contempt cases seriously, since your ex is flatly challenging the judge’s authority in this case.

Speak with a League City or Houston Child Custody Lawyer

Parents are not required to suffer in silence as their ex-spouse uses the children as pawns. Instead, concerned parents should immediately vindicate their parental rights in court, including their right to visitation. To start the process, please contact Galveston child custody attorney Tad Nelson to schedule your free consultation. Call 281-843-9776 or submit our contact form.

What are Community Property and Separate Property?

By | Divorce

A Texas divorce does more than free up each spouse to marry someone else. Instead, a marriage is an economic unit, and a divorce completely unwinds your financial entanglements. As part of your divorce, a judge will need to divide your marital property, which is called “community property” in Texas. Read on to find out more about what a judge will divide.

Community Property—What You Acquired Together

There is an easy, quick way to understand community property—it is any property you acquired while married. Generally, it does not matter whose name is on the title to the house, boat, or car. What matters is that you were married when one of you acquired the property.

Wages earned are also community property, as is anything bought with wages. If your husband bought a condo secretly using only his wages, the condo is still community property, which means each spouse owns a 50% stake in the property. Usually, community property is divided 50/50 upon divorce.

Separate Property

Separate property is often something you owned before getting married and brought into the marriage, such as the car you bought six months before walking down the aisle. It can also be a retirement account, cash in a checking account, or investments. However, income earned on separate property is often community property. For example, if you own a rental property, then the rent earned while married belongs to both you and your spouse.

Texas law also considers some property obtained while married as “separate” property, such as:

  • An inheritance. Say your mother died while you were married and left only you her home. Typically, the inheritance is your separate property.
  • A gift. If someone gave you a gift, then it is yours.
  • Some recoveries for personal injury claims. If a driver struck you, and you have a lawsuit seeking compensation, then the money is typically yours. You do not have to share it.

Sometimes there is a good faith dispute as to whether something is community property or separate property. For example, a family friend might have given you an expensive gift. But was it really for you and your spouse? A lot will depend on the facts.

Are You Confused? Speak to a Galveston, Texas Divorce Lawyer for Help with Your Case

Before divorcing, you should fully understand what property you can walk away with. However, community property rules are complex, and you should meet with an experienced Galveston or League City divorce lawyer to review your situation. Contact the Law Offices of Tad Nelson & Associates today at 281-843-9776 for a free consultation. We are eager to assist you throughout each step of your family law case.